Mrs M Lee
This course is suited for students who have achieved a grade 5 or higher in GCSE Maths, who do not wish to or do not meet the requirements to study the subject at A-Level, but who do wish to continue to improve their mathematics.
Why choose Core Mathematics?
The purposes of this qualification are to:
● Consolidate and build on mathematical understanding, develop further mathematical understanding and skills in the application of mathematics to authentic problems.
● Build a broader base of mathematical understanding and skills in order to support the mathematical content in other Level 3 qualifications, for example A Level Biology, Business Studies, Economics, Computing, Geography, Psychology, BTEC Applied Science, Business, Health and Social Care and IT.
● Provide evidence of achievements against demanding and fulfillingcontent, to give the confidence that the mathematical skills, knowledge and understanding they will acquire during the study of the of course are as good as that of the highest performing countries in the world. Qualification aims and objectives:
● Develop competence in the selection and use of mathematical methods and techniques.
● Develop confidence in representing and analysing authentic situations mathematically, and in applying mathematics to address related questions and issues.
● Build skills in mathematical thinking, reasoning and communication.
In Core Mathematics You will study:
● Applications of statistics
● Linear programming
● Sequences and growth.
How you will be assessed in Core Mathematics:
For additional information please come and speak to Mrs Copley or Mrs Lee.